A Process Of Diligence and Empathy
A rigorous selection process and streamlined administrative system ensures that every dollar we raise makes an impact.
- A comprehensive application requires candidates to have worked as professional musicians in the United States for at least five years.
- Applicants must submit tax statements demonstrating that their principal income is derived from work as musicians.
- An expert screening committee reviews all proposed grantees to confirm the validity of each individual application, including review by a physician in cases of medical need, as well as evaluation by a licensed social worker.
- Funding is given in the form of direct payment to vendors such as medical practices, housing authorities, instrument retailers and health insurance companies to maximize efficiency.
- Support includes one-time assistance for periods of acute need: medical crisis, crime victimization, catastrophic events, etc.
- Typical grants fall in the range of $500-$3000 to ensure we are able to meaningfully help as many musicians as possible. We also often partner with a variety of other aid organizations to meet as much of our applicants’ needs as possible.
- Our lean administration is financed through an endowment. Every dollar raised through annual appeal gifts, online donations, proceeds from benefits, matching gifts, etc., goes toward changing a musician’s life.